RE: C-V joints

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: C-V joints
From: "Tom Leake" <tomleake@enol.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 97 08:21:08 PDT
Cc: kc5gxl@pnx.com
>>Hello Tom and fellow scions of lbc;
>>   I don't want to rain on anybody's parade, but, there is something wrong
OK I often wear a rain coat as well as Nomex.
>>with this picture. I happen to own a little company named of all things,
>>C-V Specialties. As the name implies, I specialize in C-V joints. Namely,
>>rebuild them.
>>   The problem is this: C-V joints are made for specific applications.
There
>>is no such thing as a "universal" c-v joint.

True most joints work specifcally with a particular stub wihich contains
the race
BUT  there are exceptions, for example the Llobro types which have been
used
on many Porshe-VW-Audi products, are readily available in a bolt on
configuration.
There is also a bolt-on tripod joint like this such as is used for Datsun
300ZX.  There are
other bolt-on joints as well.  My plans are to use the joints commonly used
in
Audi 4000 's and Quattro's.  This is the medium Llobro used also in the
Porsche 944.
Which is a vehicle with similar weight and  power than a TR (well maybe a
PI 6).  It also
has about an inch of plunge. I have been quoted about $60 for the joints

The challenge then is to make a flanged stub axle that will bolt to the
joint and an
adapter that fits between the joint and the dif flange.  Then you need a
shaft.
This can be made by fabricating a new shaft or cutting an existing shaft
and welding
 with mechanical tuing.  This machinist happens to specialize in custom
(race)
transmission parts for dragsters creating any of these parts  is  not hard
for him.

This is very similar to the way Barratt produces their setup.  They use two
bolt on
tripod joints.

Dan, Maybe you can help me (and any others) get a good deal on new joints
such that the
price could come a little further.

Tom Leake
65 TR4A IRS