Re: od tranny oil

To: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Subject: Re: od tranny oil
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 14:40:43 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>  The second problem was of more concern.  He found that on
>short, twisting courses with heavy use of first gear, it
>became increasingly difficult to get into first.  After
>about 20-30 engagements, it could no longer be done at all.
>Upon disassembly, they found that the synthetic oil was
>too slick to allow the heavier gears to be "slowed down"
>by the synchros when shifting, thereby grinding off the
>pointed teeth until they were flat.  I speculate that if
>one shifts more slowly this problem may be avoided.

Good lord, that describes *exactly* what's been going on in my Honda!
Switched to synthetic gear box oil a while ago, and it's become more and
more difficult to catch second in spirited driving.  The symptoms are
exactly as you describe.  Think I'll see about switching gearbox lube
this weekend and see what happens.  Probably too late, but maybe not.