Re: Benchgrinders

To: jstovall@earthlink.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Benchgrinders
From: Paulsv@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 11:08:30 -0400 (EDT)

<< Hey all,
         What all can you do with a benchgrinder? And is the one that Sears
 has on sale for $58 worth it? Any ideas? Thanks! >>

I wouldn't be without mine.  Obviously, you can grind steel or other metals-
just grinding a nice straight edge on your screwdrivers that have become
rounded off with age and wear makes using them a lot nicer, and you screw up
fewer screws.  Sharpening chisels, plane blades etc if you are a woodworker.
 Attach a wire brush (brass or steel) to clean up parts.  Attach cloth
polishing wheels, and apply the right compound, to polish all kinds of metals
and plastics, so they shine better than new.  (My favorite is to polish
stainless steel bolts, nuts etc. for use in the engine compartment.  You can
make stainless or aluminum shine like chrome)  I suspect that the sears model
turns at 3800 RPM (as does mine.)  If I were to do it over, I would get one
that turns at 1750 RPM.  I've seen a few in tool catalogs recently that sell
for only a few bucks more.  The wheels that come with the grinders are real
cheap, and you may want to replace them with something better.  Also, you
will need a "dresser" for the wheels- Either a "star wheel" type, or they
have stone or diamond dressers.  These keep the wheel flat, and expose new
cutting material in the wheel, as well as cleaning out the embedded particles
of whatever you have been grinding.
Paul