Re: TR6 Progress

To: scotty@csn.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Progress
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 22 May 1997 13:59:30 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

I woudln't worry too much about your oil pressure at idle. 25 PSI is
consistant with the 10w-30 oil that you are using. If you want more
pressure (not really necessary), you could go to a thicker synthetic, I
believe there is a 15w-40 (or is it 15w-50?) available.

David Vizard (ace engine wizard) is pretty convincing in his book "How to
Build More Horsepower" that excessive oil pressure robs power.

Now, if you said you oil pressure was 5 PSI or the oil "idiot light" is
coming on, that's a diferent matter.

I would not be too concerned with 25 at warm idle with synthetic oil.

As for your cam problem, if you find that the replacement pushrods bind
on the rockers, you may want to shim the rocker pedestals up a bit to get
some more clearance... I think TRF and Moss have shims, if not, they
should be easy to make. Just don't forget that little hole in the
rear-most rocker pedestal!

This binding thing is pretty common for folks setting up a cam on TR6
motors, and I submit that it is probably pretty common with other Triumphs.

Good luck with whatever solution you come up with.

regards,
rml

p.s. I presume this means that you won't be a Bowie, MD this year?

;-)
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: How many Triumphs do you own??? One that RUNS!