Re: Suspension Woes, Parts 1 and 2

To: peterz@merak.com
Subject: Re: Suspension Woes, Parts 1 and 2
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 1997 13:17:53 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi,

If you have a late TR6, just buy the TRF "competition" springs for the
rear. Also put in the nylatron bushings on the TRailing arms. Note: you
should have 2 notch and 3 notch brackets for the trailing arm mount
point. If you do not, the above springs may be "too long" for your
application.

Those two items, the springs and the bushings, wil fix the squat. I will
not eliminate it, but you will improve.

As for removing the rear springs, Disconnect the rear axle from the diff
or pull the outer halfshaft out to get the rear semi-trailing arm to drop
down far enough for the spring to drop out. No spring compressor is
required. Note: pay very carful attention to the rear brake lines when
you do this job. If you are not careful you can squish them or cut them
when the traiing arm reaches it lowest positions. I usually loosen the
fitting where the flex line connects to the hard line on the
semi-trailing arm _before_ I try to lower the arm out of the way of the
spring.

Front shocks: choices are (from less expensive to more expensive)
Woodhead (TRF) to Spax to Koni to Carerra. Expect to pay arounf $175 to
more than $200 for a pair of the expensive ones. They are worth the
money, IMHO. I have Spax.

C ya,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |