Skirted thermostats

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Skirted thermostats
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 1997 17:00:18 -0400 (EDT)
In line with earlier thread on this and the fact that it is summer (in the N.
Hemisphere, mate), I tried some detective work at luch today.

I found two skirted thermostats at a local auto parts store/garage.  This
place was the Triiumph dealer where I used to go for warrenty service in the
'60s.  The owner was the owner then.  When I asked him if he had any old
skirted TR 3-4 thermostats around, he got the TR number from an old catalogue
and checked his parts bin.  No dice - but he said that there were several
other auto makers who used the same type and maybe even the same one.  Yep -
first name was Volvo.  Other was VW (no, not the 'Bug").  He got two out for
me and brought them to the counter.  They are very similar and look like the
ones in our cars.

Problem is that my thermostat is in the engine about 1200 miles away from
here.    Can someone do a check of these for size against an original?  You
would have to go to a store and get the ones he has OR if someone has an
original which I could borrow I could check here.  He has quite a few in
stock and I could take orders if someone wants one.  (Just his price plus
Shipping).  Here are the particulars on the two thermostats which he showed
me.

1)  Beck Arnley (marked on the box)143-0081.  This is a 189degree F thermo
for a Volvo 240 - 1967-75.

2) Aeolius - Thomson (marked on the unit itself) 88047  80degrees C.  He says
this was used in VW Rabbits or Siroccos.

The two units are slightly different in overall length but the diameters and
the action upon opening appear very close.  BTW -skirted thermostats are not
that uncommon according to him.

Anybody want to step up on this?  Cheers.

(I also have a lead on a newly reproduced Jag thermo which might work.  More
on that later.)

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
VTR TR4 vehicle consultant