Non Starting TR-3

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Non Starting TR-3
From: Barry Shefner <jacad@CAM.ORG>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 17:34:58 -0400
Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 22:06:17 -0700
From: Dave Riddle <dave@microworks.net>

Hello,

I have been a lurker on the list for a while and thought I would break
the
surface to get a breath and ask a question or two.

First the question and then a little about my history with Triumphs!

I tried starting the car a while ago and when it failed to turn over
completely on the first try I tried again and this time nothing
happened.
The battery is fine and the points are set. Does the wisdom of the list
think the problem lies with the starter or the solenoid? It is like no
power is getting to the system, not even a click.

Now the history.

I have a 1958 TR-3A (In fact it is the same car that graces the front
cover
of the TRF Glove box companion) This car was owned by Bob Schaller
(author
of "More B.S. about TR's" and is on the cover of his book) until his
death
last year. I feel fortunate to have this car since the back cover of
Bob's
book has a picture of Bob and his friend Ken Richardson standing in
front
of the car! I am going to prep the car to run ASRA (Arizona Sports
Racing
Association) and maybe VARA.

When I was in college in 1984 I had a 57 TR-3 (a picture of this car is
on
the home page of our club's webpage (http://www.microworks.net/dctra)
and
my dad had a TR-6. Back when I was a young tyke in the early 70's while
we
were living in Lexington, Kentucky my dad had a TR-3B.

Thanks for any advise!

Dave R.

David W. Riddle                 http://www.microworks.net
(O) 602-813-4569                        http://www.openlines.com
(F) 602-813-4659

1958 TR-3A TS34575L

Dave,

 Problem could be lots of things but the good news is it may be
something very simple like a loose or corroded battery cable connection.

Check the following before thinking of touching the starter:
1) remove the battery terminals and check for corrosion and buildup of
dried out battery acid on the ends of the cable. (Change the cables if
some of the wires are frayed.) Clean the inside of the both lead
terminals and the battery posts with steel wool and re-attach.
2) detach your body ground connection, the connections to the solenoid
and the connection to your starter. Again clean off any corrosion or
rust with steel wool
3) Reattach your connections and make sure that everything is good and
tight, but pay particular attention not to overtighten the bolt on the
starter as it will turn and break the wire on the inside of the starter
housing if you apply too much force. (If you have an inside nut , hold
it with a wrench while fastening the outside nut.)
4)At this point try starting the car. If the starter fails to turn over
take a screwdriver and jump the two posts on the solenoid. (do it
without touching the body as you will get a nasty shock) If the starter
turns over then your solinoid is bad and you'll have to change it
5) If all this fails to resolve your problem time to check out your
starter!
6) oh yeah make sure that your battery is good!

Good luck lemme know if it kicks over:}

Barry Shefner
59 TR3A OTS 57675