Re: aaahhhh ! ! ! What have I done! ? !

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: aaahhhh ! ! ! What have I done! ? !
From: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 1997 22:26:49 -0400
Cc: Mark@concentric.net, S.@concentric.net, Lepore@concentric.net, MD <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>

> Date: Wed, 02 Jul 1997 16:52:43 -0400
> From: "Mark S. Lepore, MD" <Sirmoog@ix.netcom.com>
> Subject: aaaaahhhhhh !!! What have I done !?!
>
> What have I done?
> My '71 Tr6 that I bought less than a month ago needs major work, or so a
> recent mechanic says.  I'd like people's opinions on these prices, and
> alternatives, aside from me doing it myself, which I'm not confident I
> could do.  Symptoms: lots of play in the steering; the car sags to the
> passenger side; carb leaks fuel, and idle is too high.  My gut feeling
> is that their labor rate is too high, and perhaps some of the things
> really don't need to be done:

Mark,

  While not a professional mechanic (I'm a bodyman), I have worked on my
TR 250 enough to offer some advice, so here goes... (I'll use Vicky Brit
for prices, as it's easier to look things up, and my own rate of speed for
repair time hours)

> 1)Install a new rack, new tie rod ends, a new shaft and u joint and
> align the front end.  Parts $535, labor $205

  A new rack? A new steering shaft? I can't imagine why, I didn't think
they ever wore out. Tie rod ends and steering u-joint, on the other hand,
do. So for everything excluding the rack & shaft, figure on- parts $75, labor
approx 3hrs

> 2) Install front springs - Parts $76, Labor $220

> 3) Install rear springs - Parts $90, Labor $138

  You can get a replacement set of springs for $55 front, $65 rear. NO labor
should be involved up front if he's rebuilding the front suspension already,
and the
rears take 1 to 2 hrs to do

> 4) Install front end "major suspension kit", which replaces all the worn
> bushings and things like that. - Parts $638, Labor $550

  A bushing kit costs $100, + ball joints $55, + shocks $60 = $215. Labor
approx 8 hrs
Bear in mind this is a thourogh rebuild, problably more than he'd do. The align-
ment that went on the tie-rod end job is included there, and the front end
rebuild labor
also includes disconnecting and handling tie-rod ends.  He is charging you
double
the labor again!

> 5) Carb rebuild (both carbs) Parts - $86, Labor $330

 A carb rebuild kit costs $22. Labor about 4 hrs

> 6) Install new vacuum advance $65 for used part, $55 labor

  A new vacuum advance costs $38   Labor 1 hr

> Any and all input would be appreciated.

 How about paying to fly me out to your house, put me up at the local Marriot,
pick up my bar tab, and pay me fifty dollars an hour?  I bet you'd still come
out ahead...<G>.  Seriously, I'd look around elsewhere, or try the repairs your-
self.  This guy scares me.  Was the shop like, spotlessly clean?  Maybe this is
some sort of a high end repair place.  Or maybe your prices are in Canadian
dollars,
as there are many Canadians here, and the prices always seem high 'til I
remember
the difference.

  Oh well, hope I've helped,

                               JOE IV