Re: Electric Fans and Thermostats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Fans and Thermostats
From: davepage@intergate.bc.ca (Dave Page)
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 09:07:28 -0700 (PDT)
>I intend to install an electric fan on my 74 TR6 and I would be grateful
>for any comments or advice from the list.  The fan is sitting idle in the
>garage (from a previous vehicle) and I would like to make use of it on the
>TR if possible.

Trevor, can't respond directly to any of your questions but I do have a
comment along the same theme.  I run an electric fan on my 4A and as a
result, I was able to loose the 7-8 lb. blade extension that runs
precariously close to the top of the steering rack.  As a matter of fact,
there was a shiny band right around the extension where it had rubbed on the
rack after breaking a motor mount on one of the East Coat's notorious Spring
potholes.  I might add that mine isn't the only TR I'v seen with this shiny
band around the extension.  Loosing the extra weight is similar to
lightening the flywheel, you get a free-er (typo?) reving engine.  Now
before somebody jumps in and comments that the shaft acts as some sort of
harmonic balance for the crank, I have run this configuarion for a few years
without experiencing any troubles. Comments?

Dave Page
'66 TR4A IRS