Re: Electric Fans and Thermostats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Electric Fans and Thermostats
From: Eva Chin <echin@ucla.edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 11:59:40 -0700
I installed an electric fan purchased from Pep Boys into my 1964 TR4.  It
attached to the front of the radiator with some interesting yet easy to use
fastening devices.  They work on a principle similar to that of plastic pull
ties.  Now I have two fans in the car.  It was a very easy job even for a
bone headed mechanic like me.  It gives me incredible peace of mind while I
am idling in So. Cal traffic and it was a lot easier than coring the
radiator, which I will eventually do.  As for your thermostat.  The
instructions with my fan show it being wired directly into the electrical
system so that it is on constantly. I bought a cool toggle switch from Radio
Shack and have that to fiddle and amaze my passengers with will I am
driving.  You need to have an air of utmost seriousness as you monitor the
temperature and flip the switch on and off.  This will impress your naive
modern car owners to no end.  I mounted the switch for the fan under the
glove box so that the passengers can't help but notice my heroic attempts to
maintain proper engine running temperatures. When I am by myself I just live
the fan on all the time.

Rodney