TR4 clutch question

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR4 clutch question
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 09:28:17 -0700 (PDT)

Managed to dismantle my clutch master cylinder this morning.  Only hangup
was that I had to 'bounce' the piston out of the cylinder.  It's out now,
but...

There are 2 rubber seals on the piston assembly.  Haynes calls them the
'Plunger Seal' and the 'Valve seal'.  When I removed the piston assy.,
the valve seal had been forced into a triangular shape by the plastic
Valve Spacer.  Shouldn't it be round?  when I reassembled everything the
spring tension caused the plastic the jump over the seal again, making it
triangular.

I figure I need a new rubber seal, but do I really?

-Malcolm

PS also had a chat with a specialty mechanic yesterday.  He suggests
using a piece of rubber hose and some 400+ grit wet/dry sandpaper to hone
the master cylinders, as an 'American' hone will just wreck the walls.