Brakes

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Brakes
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1997 22:41:59 -0400
Reynolds, Rob wrote:

********** Snip ************

1.  My late 76 TR6 stops well and the brakes don't appear to fade.
 However, when I come to a stop and keep pressure on the brake pedal, it
will slowly sink to the floor in about 30 seconds.  As soon as I remove my
foot from the pedal and step on it again it starts working at the top of
the pedal travel.  In other words, I don't have to pump it to build up
pressure.  I don't appear to be losing any fluid.  Any thoughts?

********** End Snip **********

Yes.  The brake master cylinder is in need of a rebuild.  The problem
is that the bore is beginning to rust and the fluid is leaking past
the rubber seals.  The MC will continue to work that way for years
but the right thing to do is repair it.

Dave Massey

71 TR6 (I've rebuilt virtually everything on this one)
74 TR6 (Pretty much original)
78 TR7 (Long term project) (I mean a really looooooong term project)

P.S. Its a good thing you asked your question first.  If I had read
     your joke first I may not have answered.