New GT6, jealous Spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: New GT6, jealous Spit
From: Martin_A._Secrest@NEB.VOA.GOV
Date: 7 Jul 97 8:46:45
Well, a GT6 that appeared previoulsy on these pages is now in my garage.  Late
model, registered in 1974; outstanding mechanical and cosmetic condition.  The
PO did a great job with this car, and I am very impressed with the ride and the
power of this little puppy.   However, in retaliation for my infidelity, my
Spitfire seems to have developed a little problem ...

A few weeks ago, I installed SU HS4 carbs in the Spit, and they ran fine until
now.
  Before installation, I had moderately overhauled them.  Then the car
began to cough this weekend -- occasionally at first, and then a lot, and losing
power.  Went back into the carbs and cleaned out the float bowls I had
previously
neglected, finding a fair amount of rust.   Also cleaned the not-dirty pistons
and cylinders.   Synchro is fine.  Still the same problem.

Checked the mixture, which seemed to be way lean.  Enrichened the jets
(one more than the other), test drove the car -- same problem.  Checked the
mixture again -- now it was too lean!  Readjusted it, and still -- same problem.
I have inherited some kind of little carburetor poltergeist.  Can anyone
exorcise me?

--
Martin Secrest
74 GT6