Spitfire Radio Installation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Radio Installation
From: TRIA73@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 09:42:12 -0400 (EDT)
7/7/97

<romano@bellatrix.pcl.ox.ac.uk (Romano Kroemer) / Spit1500 radio
installation>

<How and where should I connect it to? Should the connection be fused and how
do I achieve this?>  I recommend connecting to a hot lead tied into your
ignition switch so that the ignition must be on to use the radio.  I also
installed a relay which uses the current from the ignition lead to operate
the relay switch for current directly from the positive terminal on the
battery.  Make sure you have a good ground connection to the body or frame of
the car.  Most radio installation kits a furnished with an inline fuse on the
positive lead to the radio.

<Do I have anything to do in order to avoid distortions>  Probably not
although when I installed a high power stereo in my '73 Spit I get just a
little static when I brake.  I would try it without any filters.  You can
spend a lot of time and money trying to filter out engine and other
electrical distortions.  Listen to it first and go from there.  There are
some all purpose noise filters on the market but I have not tried them.

<What is the best place to install the loudspeakers?>  I used some small
rectangular Bose speakers that where furnished with brackets and installed
them on the rear deck behind the seats and subsequently mounted them to my
roll bar when I added it.  There really isn't much room in the door panels
for speakers so that leaves trying to do something in the dash or up front.

<at the moment the Spit has some panel with a radio sized hole in it under
the dashboard, but is it enough to install a radio there, or do I need some
special
device? >  You need to check the overall size of your radio and if you're
going to use a cassette try to get one where the cassette opening is towards
the top of the unit.  I don't believe there is any way you could fit a CD
player due to obstruction with the gear shift lever.  I can only install a
cassette when I'm in second or fourth.  As for mounting, The Roadster Factory
carries replacement blank metal face plates that can be cut out for the size
opening on your radio so that the installation resembles the dealer installed
setups.

<What kind of antenna (aerial) should I get?>  I installed a generic
replacement antenna that is actually nicer that the factory one because it
retracts all the way into the car when not in use and I have the car cover
on.  You may be able to find a stick on window type but I'm not familar with
them.

Randy Dunn
MAKE EVERY DAY A TRIUMPH DAY!
Orginal Owner of a '73 Spitfire USA