Convertible top installation

To: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Convertible top installation
From: Jason Clark <gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 12:07:31 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Installed the new top on my TR8 this weekend.  With the assistance of my
so's father, it took about 8 hours (including two trips to the hardware
store to purchase different sized pop rivets)  Installation was actually a
lot simpler than I expected.  After removing the old top, we began by
attaching the metal bar at the back of the rear window, and then affixing
the snaps on the corner windows.  The pilot holes on the Crown top I
purchased are pretty much wishful thinking.  I think I'm going to fill
them in with vinyl repair stuff before they decide to expand.  Then we
glued the front of the top down to the front support piece and folded it
over and riveted it in place.

For a couple of complete novices, it doesn't look too bad.  I don't like
the way the last corner on the front turned out - I think we got the
crease in the wrong place.  The rear window hangs a bit looser than I'd
like, too, but I expect shrinkage will take care of that.  I also wish
we'd given a slightly greater allowance for shrinkage on the snaps.  All
things considered, though, I'm very happy with the results for $140 and an
afternoon's work.

-jason

Jason Clark
gjclark@uxa.ecn.bgu.edu