Re: Convertible top installation

To: "'tr list'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Convertible top installation
From: "Jeff S. Hapke" <hapkejs@cig.mot.com> "RE: Convertible top installation" (Jul 7, 12:57pm)
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 1997 13:50:17 -0500
I also put a new top on my TR6 last weekend, I followed the instructions from
the VTR web site (Roger?). All went well. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive,
which worked great! The guy at the autoparts store called it "elephant snot".
It's a thick, gooey, snot-like contact cement. It comes in a black color, so if
you are installing a black top it looks good as well.

I'd like to offer a suggestion for glueing the header rail:
- Wrap the vinyl over the rail. (the amco top has a white line drawn on it,
which is lined up with the front edge of the rail.)
- Make sure it is centered, with no wrinkles.
- Use clothes pins to hold the top to the header rail, use LOTS of cloths pins.
Start from the center and work towards the edges, stretching as you go.
- Make sure it is centered, with no wrinkles.
- When you get everything positioned as you like, start gluing:
  - Fold the top back so you can get at the underside of the header rail.
  - Remove about 6" of clothespins from the center.
  - cut the vinyl in 2 places, to about 1/4 inch from the edge of the header
rail, to create a 6" flap.
  - use 3M weatherstrip adhesive (read the label) to attach this flap to the
header rail.
  - using the above technique, work from side to side, from the center out.

Mine turned out perfectly :)

--
Jeff S. Hapke   Motorola CIPG Arlington Heights, IL