sway bar bushings

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: sway bar bushings
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:40:47 -0600
I am replacing the sway bar bushings on my tr6 with polyurethane ones.
The ones which attach to the link arms are easy enough to put on. But
the ones which are placed _on_ the bar and cushion the calmping brackets
are a different story.

I have been told that I can safely cut the bushings with a hacksaw in
order to get them around the bar. I am somewhat dubious of this. Anyone
have a better solution?

The polyurethane is quite stiff and I am not sure if I would be able to
fit it around the ends of the sway bar which are much wider than the bar
diameter at its round part. Even if I can fit them around the bar ends,
I wonder if this might permanently distort them and make them useless
anyway? However I am willing to try this if someone has successfully
done so in the past. Cutting the bushings is a last resort for me
(although I guess it comes before cutting the sway bar in the middle
;-).

Thanks for any help.

Peter Zaborski
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)