Yeah!. . . .Back on the road!

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Yeah!. . . .Back on the road!
From: Barry Schwartz <BSchwartz@ENCAD.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 1997 09:45:16 -0700
*****************
This is a repost as I don't believe the original got transmitted -
hoping this isn't bombing the list with multiple copies.  If it is
please E-mail me :-)
*****************
Wednesday July 2nd -
Hi All -
     Just took the V6 Spitfire with it's new 5 speed out today (drove to
work) for the first time on over two months since I started the
transplant!  Almost forgot how much FUN this car is!  Big grins and
smiles all the way to work (probably nobody could see as it's dark out
when I go to work).  Gobs of power, really great ratios, no spin diff,
and cruises at 65 mph around 2760 in 5th (used to be around 3800)!
Looks like it will be ready for the Moss Motors British car festival,
July 17-20th in Buellton after all (anybody going?).  Just a few more
little things to do.  Just one problem.  The speedo cable gave up
(broke) on the way in.  At any rate it's such a royal PAIN to remove the
tranny cover now (besides having just reassembled it) that I don't want
to even mess with it.  What I thought of was to convert to an electronic
speedometer, taking my readings from pulses on small magnets, possibly
four, (four pulses/rev) mounted to the drive shaft at the rear. Does
anybody know  how  the Smiths electronic speedometer get it's
information or would it be possible to convert a different brand, using
internals, and fitting them inside the case?  Alternatively, could I use
an electronic tach (later model Spitfire) and make a little circuit to
drive the needle using the dial from the speedometer.  (I want it to
look the same and have several speedos and tach's taken from wrecks that
I can use)  It should make calibration a little easier, although I
haven't figured out how to actuate the odometer.  Anybody have any
comments/thoughts about this?

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6 Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )