Re: R12 to R134 conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: R12 to R134 conversion
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 97 11:46:02 PDT
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Gregory J. Edge wrote:
        > Anyone done it?  Comments?

Real can-o-worms here Greg, you are sure to elicit a whole
bunch of opinions, probably all different.

I did some research before deciding to pay the extra bucks
an sticking with enviro-unfriendly R12.  The advice I found was:
        1) R134 does not run as "cool" as R12
        2) The pump must be COMPLETELY cleaned of all the R12
           and its associated lubricant before using R134
           (not a problem if you are using a new pump).
           I see many R12 to R134 conversion kits in the
           auto-stores that make it seem as easy as a quick
           flush, but various reports in auto and refridgeration
           magazines do not support this.

There is plenty of R12 around...its kinda like the gas crisis of
the '70s when we were supposed to run out of gas by the mid 1990s.
Once the ax fell on R12, no more of the stuff was being made, but the
stockpiles are enormous, and it is being used only very slowly.
It costs $500 for 30lb here in SoCal, but ask your mates, they probably
have several containers in the garage that you can barter for.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego