1969 TR6

To: Triumph list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: 1969 TR6
From: Tomislav Marincic <74137.3420@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 09 Jul 97 22:34:57 EDT
        Len Drake wrote:

        "The build date on this car is listed as April 1, 1968 - this seems
early
since the car is registered as a 1969."

        Len, where is this build date "listed"? Unless I'm mistaken, an early
TR6
commission plate is like a Tr-250 plate, in that it does not specify the date of
manufacture. It only contains a statement that the car meets all applicable
safety laws in effect as of a certain date, but these laws did not change
monthly. Later TR-6's have a different style comm plate.

        My TR-250 was built in Feb '68, according to BMHIT. The comm plate says
the car complied with all safety regs as of Jan  1,'68, which means for instance
that it had mounting provisions for a 3-point belt (though it was only equipped
with a lap belt). Since my car is CD3574L, the factory built another 5000 or so
TR250's before they got around to the first TR6. Your car was undoubtedly built
later in the fall of '68, but you'll have to get a BMHIT certificate to be
certain of the date.

        There are a lot of people on the TR250 list who think their cars were
built Jan 1, '68 or Apr 1, '68. These were very productive days for Triumph...

        Best Regards,

        Tom Marincic