Re: r12 to 134a conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: r12 to 134a conversion
From: Kevin Brown <mgtrautoxr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 1997 20:45:41 -0500
Gregory J. Edge wrote:

> Anyone done it?  Comments?
> Getting R12 is tough nowadays.
>
> Gregory J. Edge
> '78 TR7 FHC (OGDO)
> '80 FI TR7 DHC w/AC

You can't do a direct drop in of 134a.  At a minimum you need to replace
all seals and o-rings in the system.  You also need to replace the oil
in the system with an ester type of oil.

Just today, at work, I receved a flyer on something called "Hot Shot"
refrigerent that is supposed to be a direct drop in for r12 (after
removing any remaining r12 from the system).  I will be investegating it
further -- has anyone used this stuff in an automobile??  I imagine that
it is some sort of an HCFC blend.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Kevin Brown  '74 TR6  '76 TR6  '71 MGB  '74 MGBGT  '89 MR2
Odessa, MO