***<<<BLAM>>>*** Revisited--HELP

To: Triumphs <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>, Bschwartz@encad.com
Subject: ***<<<BLAM>>>*** Revisited--HELP
From: "Brian N." <bwnbcg@sjm.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 1997 18:17:59 -0700
Well, Pueriquito is not as bad as I thought.  After getting it off the
tow truck a week ago, I finally started poking at it today.

Compression normal--165-195 on all jugs.
No water in oil/oil in water etc.

Hmmm

Horrible sound does go away with plugs out and random cranking.

AHHH--Those damn thrust washers!

Yes, the thrust washers spun out.  I check this with the old
crowbar-against-pulley test.  Yup.  'Bout 1/8" longitudinal movement.

Not a good sign.  But not as bad as a broken piston or busted rod.

SOOOO--What am I in for?

Is the crank trashed from thrust thrash?  How about the main web and
cap?

Can I slip in new thrust washers and drive on?

If the old ones (yea, real old. 5000 miles) spun out, what will keep the
new ones in?

Can I merely pull the pan and remove #3 main cap and slip the new ones
up there neat and tidy?  Or is there some Demon of Drivetrains or Troll
of Torque that will do all things possible to punish me for the
"spirited exercise" I put the car through?  And, by the way, where's
Nietzche when you need him?

Any help and experience is appreciated.

Brian N.

65 Spitfire