Re: Voltage Regulator

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Voltage Regulator
From: jgillis@tcd.ie (John Gillis)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 08:54:34 +0100
>Hello all.
>Have been following the advice of the list via the digest for some time
>and have found the information to be invaluable.
>I have a voltage regulator problem on my 64 spitfire which I could use
>some help with - being a bit (a lot) electrically impaired.
>This is my situation:
>Recently I noticed my electrical system was running at around 15-16 volts.
>(aside - everything works really well at 16V - lights, wipers, etc) An
>ammeter connected between the positive lead and the positive battery
>terminal showed approx 15 amps going in to the battery - seemed a lot to
>me.
>Generator is producing plenty of amps (but seems to get pretty hot),
>battery is less than a year old.
>I tried to test the voltage regulator using the Haynes manual. The cutout
>works OK but the manual refers to terminal S when talking about
>testing/adjusting the voltage regulator. Since there is no terminal S on
>any voltage regulator I've seen I guessed they meant terminal F and then
>tested/adjusted the voltage regulator downward based on the F terminal
>readings. Now my system runs at more like 13-14 volts which seems better
>but the voltage at terminal F still varies with engine RPM. I'm still not
>sure if the voltage regulator is nackered or not - the terminal F reading
>varies from 7-8V at idle to about 14.5V at 3000rpm to 15-16V at 4-5000
>rpm. Any advice/opinions out there? I would really like to know if I am in
>danger of rapidly destroying my battery and/or generator or if it's not a
>big deal and everything is fine, or near enough.
>I plan on replacing the generator and regulator with the much talked about
>Ford Fiesta alternator conversion (65 amps - phroah!). Since the
>discussion usually refers to TR's I would like to get confirmation that
>this can be done on a Spitfire and what, if any, mount or pulley mods are
>required.
>Also, has anyone tried to reduce their generator/alternator temperature -
>mine always seems very hot. I was thinking of trying a longer and stronger
>upper adjusting mount (mine always used to break) with a longer fan-belt
>to match. Then maybe add a heat shield or some sort of radiator cover with
>an air-scoop? to direct cold air into the alternator/generator. Anyone
>tried something like this?
>Thanks for any advice in advance -
>Cheers
>Mark Sinclair
>MK2 Spitfire

Mark
You have carried out all the tests by the book and the fact that you are
getting a reading between 8 and 14 volts is quite normal for these units
depending on engine speed. This, is in fact the historical problem with
using a generator, which only feeds back to the battery over a particular
engine speed (above tickover) there is normally discharge to the battery
below this level. The alternator on the other hand will charge the battery
at a constant level regardless, more or less of engine speed.

John Gillis
1954 TR2 TS3618. October 1954 (ground up)
1964 Triumph 3TA 350cc (a little gem)
Trinity College
Dublin,
IRELAND.