Ca. Smog Trap

To: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Ca. Smog Trap
From: c394829@is6.mdc.com (Kurt Oblinger)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 13:38:54 PDT
Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
I have heard about this for a few weeks but just got a little more info
on it last night. Here in So. Cal. (maybe elsewhere in the state) the CARB
is erecting mobil smog survey stations. These are set up on usually busy
streets which are usually divided. The first indication of this is a series
of cones narrowing the street into one lane and a sign reading "Survey Ahead".
As the traffic is funnelled into the one lane a CHP officer will select cars
to be tested. The teststation is a trailer which is essentially a mobil
rolling road. The test vehicle is directed onto the trailer and and a test
is run. I do not know the consequences if the test is failed. Since you are
directed into the test at the direction of a CHP officer, not following his
directions is  a violation of the law. I get the impression that the "survey"
is not voluntary. Right I can think of a whole range of issues pertaining
to this, denying right of free passage, detaining without probable cause,
etc, etc. I am not an attorny and since these people are not stupid they
probably have these bases covered. However, if I ever get pulled into one
of these things, I plan to request to not participate claiming pressing
business, I will ask why I am being detained and state that it is my opinion
that such a delay against my wishes is not legal and that I will consider
legal action. I will not defy the officers directions. Now why doesn't the
ACLU take on this one.

So if you are driving down the street and see one of these situations my best
advice is to try and make a legal turn and avoid it. You can also call your
state assembly person and burn their ear.

If one of these shows up near my house maybe I'll fire up my 55 Chevy, with
the worn valve guides, and run it buy them to see what they do.

Cheers,
Kurt Oblinger "A little revolution now and then is a good thing." (Marx, Karl
not Groucho, I think)
Redondo Beach, Ca.
c394829@is6.mdc.com