EGR valve

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: EGR valve
From: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1997 20:10:34 PST
Cc: breedon@ucdhep.ucdavis.edu, tvr@domino.com
When I took my car in for smog some time ago, one failing observation made by
the mechanic in the pre-test was that my EGR valve did not work ('74 TR6
engine).  I believe that is because the vacuum connection to the bottom of the
rear carb is loose, but I am not sure I understand the function of this
connection.  My guess is that when the choke is out, the vacuum is open and the
valve does not open to allow exhaust gases to return to the distributor.  Can
anyone explain to me what this connection is for?

Also, may I remove the EGR for cleaning and then re-install it without doing
some sort of adjustment?  I have read that the valve sometimes needs
adjustment, but I do not know how to do it.  Also, I have removed the banjo
screw that serves ports on the manifold that go to the evaporative cannister
and to the brake boost. After I clean it and re-install it, do I need to
adjust it for the proper brake boost or do I just screw it back in?

Thanks,  Richard

P.S.  Thanks to those who gave me advice on the TVS and the carburetor
rebuild kit.