Re: Dash

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dash
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 12:01:22 PDT
David Massey wrote:
        > I recently saw a dash at my local LBC Guru's shop bought for someone
        > else. It was from TRF, I believe, still in the plastic wrap. It was
ugly,
        > no sheen, a dark brown in appearance; this is what they advertise as
        > original in appearance.

I'm in the process of refinishing my dash, and spoke to a local
woodworker mate (who has won some pretty impressive awards) about the
dash.  He took one lokk and said that the walnut veneer is English, and
is a much paler color than American Walnut.  That explains to me why the
repro dashes made in the USA are darker than original.  The probelm is
exacerbated becaues the wood darkens with exposure....

Despite many posts to the contrary, I am finding refinishing my own dash
quite a daunting prospect.  Removing the old clear-coat will ruin the
veneer, finding a suitable replacement, then cutting out new instrument
pods and the glovebox without ruining the new veneer looks tough.

Oh well, "nothing ventured, nothing won".

        Shane Ingate in San Diego