Clutch puzzler for today- TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Clutch puzzler for today- TR6
From: Mike Mason <mmason@lindenwood.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 09:27:37 -0500 (CDT)

'73 TR6 with new and functioning hydraulics, all new parts in the clutch
mech' except the fork, which was in great shape, and the shaft bushings,
which were very tight.

 When I got under the car after 300 miles of good "clutching", the lever on
the shaft moved more than an half an inch by hand...just slopped back and
forth.  I figured the pin was sheared again and pulled the tranny.
Everything looks tight and perfect.  There is no play in the fork or the
shaft, and the clutch and pressure plate are new.  So why can't I get it
into or out of gear?  It is as though the throw-out bearing were supposed
to be an half inch longer to take up the slack in the system.  It's got
me stumped.

The only thing I can find is that the throw-out bearing sleeve seems to
bind a little on the shaft.  The shop that pressed the bearing on the
sleeve seems to have flaired the sleeve a tiny bit.  Would this cause it
to seem as though the clutch were not disengaging?

It won't go into any gear (first it was
reverse, now it doesn't want to go into any gear...typical of the clutch
not releasing)

Any bright ideas?