Re: TR3 Drivetrain Swaps

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Drivetrain Swaps
From: "Chris Lillja" <Chris_Lillja@Pupress.Princeton.Edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 1997 11:12:44 EST
Cc: phammock@ivy.tec.in.us
> Well, the workup on the 1961 TR3A project causes me to think about
> not restoring the engine and trans on this one.  This is not a
> restoration project - wrong basic car for that.  Just to be the
> low b> Also need a set of front seats or frames from 3 or 4.
>
> Perry Hammock
> 1961 TR3A 60999

Perry - I'm sure the bone yard prices are appealing. but I can't
imagine not rebuilding any engine from a junk yard... by the time you
fabricate mounts etc. Have you checked the prices for original parts
for these engines? I'm sure you could make a TR3 engine new for what
this would cost... I've seen 4 cyl TR engines with 300k miles on the
original block, (with new sleves pistons etc.) What do you gain on
the stock motor? Miata (1600) = 116 hp, Toyota 22R= 85 -115hp. I can
see doing this to an MG Midget ;>} or even a Spitfire - you could
double the HP... but a totally stock TR 4cyl with new 87mm liners is
good for 104hp, and, more importantly 132 ft lbs. torque. You could
pick up 10-20hp with a header, and a  .090 head shave (do it when you
do the valve job). So what if you have to use better gas?

...besides (IMHO) the Toyota 22R sounds like a !@#$ Briggs & Stratton
when it revs...

It's one thing to yank a dead TR7 motor and drop in a honkin' V6
in...I'm a hot rodder at heart... I can see this...

What kind of Miata engine would you get from a bone yard? It was hit
real hard - that's what kind of engine!

I'm sorry to rave about this - I'm a real fan of the TR 4 cyl....and
the the transmission...

But the point is - this isn't just an emotional argument. The Miata
engine is gonna be from a totaled car. Watch for a broken (or just
cracked) crankshaft. The 22R is gonna be the same- or from a hi mi
rust bucket...what's it gonna need? The parts are well made... but
they're also big $$$.

Friends of mine have fallen in to the trap of thinking they're not
going to have to rebuild a boneyard motor... maybe you're a lot
luckier then they are....

'nuff said. I apologize for the rant...
Christopher M.Lillja
Subsidiary Rights/Permissions