Re: WIRE WHEEL PROBLEMS

To: John Di Fede <difejo@consumer.org>
Subject: Re: WIRE WHEEL PROBLEMS
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 19:05:59 -0400
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>I've got a TR-6 with stock wire wheels.  It seems that the tires shift
 >slightly in relation to the wheel.  When this happens, the tube also
 >shifts.  The valve stem then gets pulled at an angle against the rim,
 >and it seems that the valve stem develops a slow leak.  This happend
 >to me a few times before I realized what was happening.  This most
 >recent time was with new tires and a new tube, after only about 80
 >miles of driving.

I'm familiar with it from a  motorcycle perspective.  Couple of tricks and
cures,
though I doubt you'll like them:

1, Screws through the rim into the bead of the tire.  Works *real* well, looks
like
hell, destroys the value of the rim.  Can also cause deterioration of the tire
cords.

2, Special rim mounted tire clamps.  Essentially you have additional valve stem
holes
drilled, fit these rim shaped shoes above the rubber band, under the tube, and
then
cuss and fight getting the tire over the rim, under the shoes, and still have
the
shoes threaded rod sticking up through the rim hole.  You then run the nut down
and
hold the tire tight.  Good luck at finding a size though that would fit a
triumph rim.

3, Chisel the rim.  As in roughen and create teeth on the bead side of the rim
so that
it grips the tire bead better.

Like I said, I don't think you'll like these.