Frame Differences On TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Frame Differences On TR6
From: Randy Miller <rfmille@ibm.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1997 21:52:37 -0700
Hello to everyone on the list, this is my first posting although I've
been lurking in the shadows for a while now. My name is Randy Miller and
I've been the owner of CC84543U, a 72 TR6 since July of 1976 (although
it's been on blocks in the back yard since 1984).

        A while back I decided to resurect my car, only to discover it not to
be in exactly the same condition as when I parked it. Although the body
is not in bad shape, I soon discovered that the engine was seized from
sitting, and the frame was pretty soft in a number of places. At this
point I'm sure most of you would probably have advised to use this as a
parts car and look for another car as my project, but as this is the
first car that I ever owned there is a bit of sentimental attachment
here.

        A few weeks ago I came upon a deal I couldn't refuse, a rolling chassis
from a 73 TR6 with little rust and and all suspension parts including
steering rack, and rear differential. This brings me to my dilema. I was
under the impression that the TR6 used the same frame throughout the
production life of the car. After buying the 73 chassis, I was looking
through a couple of suppliers parts catalog's only to discover that
there is actually two listings for frames, 1969-1972 and 1973-1976.

        Does anyone know what the differences are between the two frames, and
what kind of problems I may have fitting a 1973 frame to a 1972 car?

Thanks in advance,

Randy Miller
1972 TR6 CC84543U
Schomberg, Ontario