Re: Greetings - New GT6 owner - Gearbox additives<DE1098B3D59@dept1.isvr

To: Neil <NJM@isvr.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Greetings - New GT6 owner - Gearbox additives<DE1098B3D59@dept1.isvr.soton.ac.uk>
From: RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 1997 09:39:19 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK
Morning Neil,

>Greetings!

>I am new to the list and have bought a 69 GT6 mk2 about 1 month ago.
>It is a valencia blue in about A2 condition.  I am still finding out
>about it, really (such as the joint in the steering column which
>needed tightening - improved the handling no end!).  My main current
>queries are:

'joint' in the steering column, was that to get it through customs without the
drug squad finding it?? :-)

>1) The box is quite noisy and crunchy in 3rd.  Having just bought
>the car I want to put off replacing the box and wonder if anyone has
>tried using gearbox additives such as Slick 50 and whether they have
>any benefit?

Hmmmm, I tried one of these things in my old diff, did sod all except relieve
me of 8 quid!  If you have overdrive, definately DON'T put any slippy additives
in it, or you won't have overdrive for long! :-)

>2) It really is quite a warm place to be!  Any ideas for cutting down
>the heat?

No idea, other than cut the roof off! :-)

>3) What mpg should I expect?

Not much!  ha ha, Naah I don't know for sure, but I've heard some people say
25mpg is about right, to others saying that they regularly get 35+ to the
gallon, don't forget we're talking UK Gallons here, not them small U.S ones!!
:-)

>4) It has a Spit differential which puts the speedo out of
>calibration.  Any ideas on a multiplication formula to enable me to
>know exactly how fast I am going?

God knows, drive past a policeman/copper/pig/fuzz/old bill(delete as
applicable) at an indicated 30mph in town, if he nicks you, your speedo reads
too slow, if not, then it probably reads too fast :-)

>Looking forward to hearing from you,

You were?  Bet you aren't now!!! :-)

Good luck, and good to hear from, there too many American's here at the
minute!! :-) :-)  Come back Johhny, all is forgiven! Ha Ha

Cheerio

Rich
Northamptonshire
England.