Re: Windshield chrome trim

To: Justin Wagner <jmwagner@greenheart.com>, scott suhring <suhring@lancnews.infi.net>
Subject: Re: Windshield chrome trim
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 97 07:35:59 EDT
Cc: John Di Fede <difejo@consumer.org>, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Jul 15, 10:18pm, Justin Wagner wrote:
> as I installed the new trim... starting at the center, etc... I would
> cut the trim so that, at first, I don't need the clip... (i.e. so that
> the two ends touch)   then I would live without the clip for a few
> months... until it's really been exposed and has shrunk... (and it WILL
> shrink)   THEN... at this later date... I would trim as little as
> necessary... to put the clip in to clean up the final appearance....
>
> Otherwise.... it's probably just going to shrink beyond your clip's
> ability to hide ends!  ...just as mine did in '78.
>
> Anyone second this notion?

Almost - what you really want to do, is to get the trim piece started
and then install the clip onto the part that's been installed.  You'll
still cut the piece so that the ends butt together, but with the
clip pre-installed you can cover the gap, and keep it covered for a
while as the plastic shrinks.

John Lye

rjl6n@virginia.EDU
http://avery.med.virginia.edu/~rjl6n/homepage.htm