On road after 3 years - rear end feels like it'll fall off, cooling ques

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumphs@autox.team.net)
Subject: On road after 3 years - rear end feels like it'll fall off, cooling questions
From: jw@mail09.mitre.org (Joe Whalley)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 97 17:04:28 -0400
I got my new old (72) Spitfire back on the road after it sat for 3 years. It
seems to run very
well, except when I hit a bump or hole, the rear wheels feel like they are
about to come off. This
is a very strange sensation - only going about 30 MPH so far. I don't have a
lift, but everything looks
solidly attached.  I noticed when I have the rear wheels jacked up, they have
what looks like a very
large amount of "bottom tilting in" - (I'm sure there is a technical term for
this - camber?.) It seems like
this would put a lot of stress on the suspension when I lower it onto the
ground. How much tilt is normal?

My manual shows some "shrouds" in front of the radiator, which are not on my
car. Are these critical to channel air to the radiator? Should I make some up?
My temp gauge does not register, and I'm real interested as it's 95 degrees
here. If I ground the lead that goes to the sensor, it slowly rises to max, so
the gauge is good. Gas gauge reads OK. I measure continuity from the temp
sensor to the gauge. It just seems that the sensor is too high a resistance to
allow the gauge to indicate. The connection to the sensor was broken off when
I got it, so I soldered a wire to the center post, and it looks clean and
smooth inside. Can these sensors go bad? My tach takes about a
minute before it starts to indicate RPM - any clue here? This was truly the
wiring harness from hell - everything
was twisted and taped, with a lot of BREAD BAG TIES holding things together! I
crimped all the twisted connections,
and all the lights, signals and blower work.

Thanks for the help...
Joe