Steering wheel nut is ruined!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Steering wheel nut is ruined!
From: rick@vir.com (rick)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 23:13:31 -0400
HAAAAAAA! I unbolted the steering nut to take off the steering on the TR6:
the threads on the shaft are worn from over-torking!
It's a 9/16 UNS nut. I know of UNF and UNC (fine and coarse thread) what
does  UNS stand for? I have to think of a way to re-do the threads, e.i :
use a 9/16 die tool to REGROOVE the shaft OR go with a 1/2 die to redo NEW
threads.
I realise this is an area I should be extremelly carefull with as I wouldnt
want the wheel to un-bolt. Any thoughts? Comments? Suggestions?Comforting
words?

rick
sitting in his car, steering wheel in hand...