Re: TW. re: generator rebuilds

To: asj@dsbc.icl.co.uk (Adrian Jefferies), Gerald.Levit@ccmail.irs.gov
Subject: Re: TW. re: generator rebuilds
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 1997 21:31:08 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net (triumph cars list)
At  4:22 PM 7/17/97 +0100, Adrian Jefferies wrote:

>I have tried to rebuild dead generators with very limited luck, but in your
>case
>a quick clean of the commutator, new brushes & new bronze bush (well oiled)
>should do the
>trick.

When a new bronze bush is fitted, it usually becomes distorted. A new bonze
bush should always be reamed to assure proper diameter and roundness after
instillation.

>One day I'm going to figure out what the "upgrade" is:  I believe a LandRover
>dynamo & control box will do the trick, if I could just find the Lucas
>documentation.
>Anyone know for sure? TerriAnn?

Time to pull the LR manual.....

Three dynamos were used on the series II Land Rovers.
The earliest, C39/PV2 is rated at 19 Amps
This was followed by C40/1, rated at 22 Amps
The 2.6 L petrol engined Land Rovers used the C42 dynamo rated at 30 amps.
The C42 dynamo came paired with the RB 340/37517 voltage regulator.  If you
contact a Land Rover parts house tell them that you have a '67 NADA 109
with the 2.6L six cylinder engine.  That you are after the C42 dynamo and
matching regulator.

Understand that the Land Rover dynamos have a narrower pully installed and
you would ether need to pick up Ken Gallander's harmonic dampener kit that
uses the narrow belt, or affix the wider pully.

The late Series IIA Land Rovers came with a 42 amp alternator, Lucas11AC.

Sorry I wasn't reading the thread before this message was addressed to me.
I hope I answered your question.

TeriAnn Wakeman            For personal mail, please start subject line
Santa Cruz California      with TW.  I belong to 4 high volume mail lists
twakeman@scruznet.com      and do not read a lot of threads..Thanks