Re: Anti Run on Valve/Oil pressure switch

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: Anti Run on Valve/Oil pressure switch
From: "Dean C. Paige" <ecopaige@metro.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 1997 11:51:56 -0700
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Trevor Boicey wrote:

> Dean C. Paige wrote:
> > Battery has been running down last couple of weeks. Apparently anti run
> > on valve escarpment is remaining switched on (closed?) after the engine
> > is switched off. My understanding is that the oil pressure switch has
> > control over this valve - oil pressure up = valve closed = vacuum
> > maintained. Oil pressure to zero = engine off = valve open = vacuum lost
> > = no run-on. My conclusion - oil pressure switch malfuntion maintains
> > circuit closure after oil pressure drop. Closed circuit drains battery.
> > Have I got this right? Any other suggestions on testing the theory befroe
> > buying new o p switch.
>
>   I'm not sure it works this way, but I'm not sure enough
> to post publically.
>
>   The problem I have with the above is how does it allow the car
> to start without oil pressure?
>
>   I haven't looked at the circuit, but it would seem to be more
> like "anti run on valve inactive at all times except during
> times when ignition is off but car has oil pressure". So it
> only comes on for a few seconds after the key is off but while
> it still has pressure.
>
>   If your car is like mine, I can hear it click off. If I shut off
> the car and pull the keys out in a normal speed, I hear it
> click off about when I am reaching for the door handle.
>
>   Again, total speculation.
>
> --
> Trevor Boicey
> Ottawa, Canada
> tboicey@brit.ca
> http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

Vacuum leak caused by valve opening not large enough to prevent starting
but sufficient to prevent run on. As soon as oil pressure up valve
closes?  I hear a click when I turn ignition on and also hear a click
moments after shut down. Seems that the click after shut down closes
circuit under present conditions. With ignition off if I disconnect one
of the wires at the o p switch another click. Reconnect wire another
click and draw on battery. Could it have been designed this way - minor
drain on battery w/ignition off (like memory on a radio or clock) and run
on valve is defective and drawing too much current? All input considered.

Dean