SB42 "not dead yet"

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: SB42 "not dead yet"
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 97 17:23:03 PDT
All,

For those in California, and for those in other states that follow
California's smog direction, here's the latest on SB42, the 25-year
rolling exemption bill.

A colleague of mine just called the Assembly Appropriations Committee,
and as we all know, the bill has been placed in the suspense file.
According to the clerk, all bills that the committee sees that cost
the state money (the clerks phrasing) get tossed into the suspense
bucket and all reviewed at the same time. That time is late August,
but the particular date for rehearing and voting has not been set yet.
Expect that date to be set early to mid August.  I'll let you know...

So, anyway, the upshot is that it's not dead. This appears to be SOP
for anything that isn't a freebie for the state nor makes the state money
(sounds like it's a lot easier to pass a measure that, say, raises fees
than is is to pass a measure that lowers them. Hmmmm...).

For those in CA, the number is 916-322-4323, direct line to the
committee. You can register your support over the phone, and yes, I too
suspect they use caller ID to keep track of the calls.

The committee chair is Carol Migden (e-mail migden@assembly.ca.gov)
of San Fransico. To find your assembly person contact #'s please go to
http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/defaulttext.asp

Remember, the more people that tell them that we're ready to pay the
taxes for the additional $3.8 million or whatever cooked number they
come up with, the better chance that it'll pass. My mate pointed out in
his call that the unanimous support for it up to this point directly
indicates a willingness to pay for it. The clerk noted it (so the
clerk said).

Anyway, pass the phone number on to other car clubs - lots of calls may
push it through.

        Shane Ingate in San Diego