Re: R12 to Propane Conversion

To: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: R12 to Propane Conversion
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 14:39:48 -0400
Cc: joe worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
joe worsley <worsley@ebicom.net> writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>
Along with using compressed air to test for leaks this is considered to
be very dangerous by all the experts.

Barry Wolpoff wrote:

> This guy is out of his mind.  I hope no one else out there is as loony as
> this guy.
>
> ----------
> > From: jacksone@ix.netcom.com
> > To: Jankowski@mindless.com; edgr@mbari.org
> > Cc: tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
> > Subject: Re: R12 to Propane Conversion
> > Date: Wednesday, July 09, 1997 4:37 PM
> >
> > I've been running my 80 TR7 airconditioning on propane for more than a
> year now. The system has a
> > slow leak that I can't seem to find so about every month I have spend
> another dollar for more
> > propane. The propane works better than the R-12 that used to get for
> it.(still $6 a can in
> > Tijuana.)
> > The propane will work with any oil or even any remainig R-12
> >
> > Tom Jackson

- --
Joe Worsley
80 TR8 DHC
72 TR6 (sleeping until restoration)
Tupelo, MS
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>

Hey guys,  how much propane is in the system any way? 2 lbs?

That is about how much propane is in 12 cans of spray paint!  Yes I said
spray paint.  Since 1968 the manufacturers stopped using Freon as a
propellant and substituted propane.  That is why it says on the cans
"Do not use near fire or flame.  Do not dispose of in fire."  It is an
excellent propellant and because of the same characteristics it is an
excellent refrigerant.  And though propane is a green house gas, it is
not a chlorinated hydrocarbon (ozone depletor).

2 lbs of propane has less explosive hazard as 1/2 gal of gasoline.
And if the propane escapes from the system, it assumes a gaseous
form which has a much lower density than gasoline has at STP (Standard
Temperature and Pressure, meaning 1 atmosphere (14.7 psia) and 70
degrees F.)  Therefore in the event of a leak an enclosed space
will contain a lot more explosive hazard from liquid than gas.

A leak of 2 lbs per month will dissipate harmlessly and the propane
within the system is devoid of oxygen and thus will not burn.  I think
the only reason it is not used for this application is because of the
public perception that it is dangerous.  But remember the earliest
refrigerant was ammonia gas (NH3) which is poisonous!  Thank goodness
we have moved on from there.

I find it confusing that the driving public willingly accepts the
hazard of driving around with enough stored chemical energy to
propel them 500 miles horizontally (or many thousands of feet
vertically) but shriek at the thought of a little bit of propane
in the cooling system.  And the hazard from gasoline is dwarfed by
the hazard of driving small cars with little crash worthiness on roads
shared by brain dead, cell phone using, book reading dolts driving
minivans, sport utes and plush, 4X4 pickup trucks!

Thanks. I feel much better now. I'll get off of the soapbox now.

Dave Massey St. Louis, MO USA