Re: R12 to Propane Conversion

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: R12 to Propane Conversion
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 15:06:34 -0400
Hello Dave, saw your editorial,

[snip]

 >Hey guys,  how much propane is in the system any way? 2 lbs?
 >
 >That is about how much propane is in 12 cans of spray paint!  Yes I said
 >spray paint.  Since 1968 the manufacturers stopped using Freon as a
 >propellant and substituted propane.  That is why it says on the cans
 >"Do not use near fire or flame.  Do not dispose of in fire."  It is an
 >excellent propellant and because of the same characteristics it is an
 >excellent refrigerant.  And though propane is a green house gas, it is
 >not a chlorinated hydrocarbon (ozone depletor).
 >
 >2 lbs of propane has less explosive hazard as 1/2 gal of gasoline.
 >And if the propane escapes from the system, it assumes a gaseous
 >form which has a much lower density than gasoline has at STP (Standard
 >Temperature and Pressure, meaning 1 atmosphere (14.7 psia) and 70
 >degrees F.)  Therefore in the event of a leak an enclosed space
 >will contain a lot more explosive hazard from liquid than gas.
 >
 >A leak of 2 lbs per month will dissipate harmlessly and the propane
 >within the system is devoid of oxygen and thus will not burn.  I think
 >the only reason it is not used for this application is because of the
 >public perception that it is dangerous.  But remember the earliest
 >refrigerant was ammonia gas (NH3) which is poisonous!  Thank goodness
 >we have moved on from there.
 >
 >I find it confusing that the driving public willingly accepts the
 >hazard of driving around with enough stored chemical energy to
 >propel them 500 miles horizontally (or many thousands of feet
 >vertically) but shriek at the thought of a little bit of propane
 >in the cooling system.  And the hazard from gasoline is dwarfed by
 >the hazard of driving small cars with little crash worthiness on roads
 >shared by brain dead, cell phone using, book reading dolts driving
 >minivans, sport utes and plush, 4X4 pickup trucks!
 >
 >Thanks. I feel much better now. I'll get off of the soapbox now.
 >
 >Dave Massey St. Louis, MO USA

...and agree completely.  Have these folks forgotten how dangerous
common gasoline is ??  A propane leak so small that the man has
given up trying to find it is surely nothing to worry about !

My latest near-death experience was the result of a young woman
in a big shiny new sedan, talking on her cell phone and working
on her lap-top computer (my guess = real estate agent) while
passing me in the fast lane of a divided highway, but then slowly
crowding me out of my right lane before she was past, nearly
running me off the right side of the road - and into a bridge pier !

Nearly ruined my day, my shorts, and my `new' Renault Encore com-
muter car that I just spent all weekend getting road-worthy.

Our greatest menace, as LBC or other little car drivers, is probably
distracted / impaired / brain dead drivers of BIG cars and trucks,
and all the gasoline and high-speed mass that they involve.

Thanks for letting me borrow your soap box.
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio
former LBC, Pinto, Motorcycle owner still beating the odds.