RE: VTR Nationals, Re: John and Val's Excellent Weekend

To: " VTR Nationals, Re: John" <cak@dimebank.com>
Subject: RE: VTR Nationals, Re: John and Val's Excellent Weekend
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 21:30:50 -0400
Cc: list <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
cak@dimebank.com (Chris Kantarjiev) Writes:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

         -- Couldn't agree more.  What can we do from our end (host club)
        encourage their attendance?  And what could any of you do to help?

Put the emphasis on driving events, not static displays. The members
of the Autocross Advisory Board are going to get more involved in
trying to assure the quality of the autocross event from year to year;
we probably need the same for the rallyes.

This is admittedly a tension in VTR; there's a very large concours
contigent
that doesn't care about driving events, just pouring money time and
attention
into getting their cars perfect. That, however, doesn't attract vintage
racers or the people who actually use their cars.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< End Snip >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How about an Exhaust Note Contest.  A bank of judges would set along
a stretch of roadway and as the competing cars go by at steady speed
and under acceleration the judges would award points on the pleasing
quality of the sound of the exhaust.  Granted, this is a purely
subjective evaluation, but then so is the popular choice event.

Also deduct points would be taken for any exhaust that excedes 95 dB
at 20 ft.

Just a thought.

Ok, How about this:
A contestants drives his/her car onto a clean plastic sheet and lets it
idle for
5 minutes after which time the car is driven off and the oil spots are
measured
and counted.

Never mind.

Dave Massey, St. Louis, USA
On the digest which explains the lag time in my response.