Re: TR6 Battery

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR6 Battery
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 22:00:29 -0700
I had this same problem years ago when I knocked one of the connectors
off one of the spades on the oil pressure switch.  There were just a few
wires left on the connector, so I pulled the other two off the switch to
get the needed room to put on a new connector.  When I went to hook it
back up, I couldn't figure it out.  Got it to work, but the next day my
car wouldn't start--dead battery.  The wiring diagram in both the
owner's manual and Bentley's didn't show the three prong switch and the
ant-run on valve.  Before you buy a new switch, check the wiring
positions.  It can be made to work a couple of ways, only one correct.

 _______   white w/black tracer

          l  black
 _______
             white, or possibly with w/slate tracer--can't see!

Check this against yours and see if it helps.

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1981 TR8 F.I.
Greensboro, N.C.

Dean C. Paige wrote:
> > Battery has been running down last couple of weeks. Apparently anti run on
>valve escarpment is remaining switched on (closed?) after the engine is
>switched off. My understanding is that the oil pressure switch has control
>over this valve - oil pressure up = valve closed = vacuum
maintained. Oil pressure to zero = engine off = valve open = vacuum lost
= no run-on. My conclusion - oil pressure switch malfuntion maintains
circuit closure after oil pressure drop. Closed circuit drains battery.
 Have I got this right? Any other suggestions on testing the theory
befroe buying new o p switch.