Re: Aieee, brake flares

To: David M Brock <dmbrock@julian.uwo.ca>
Subject: Re: Aieee, brake flares
From: "John L. Walker" <up497@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 09:17:52 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: Triumphs List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Mon, 21 Jul 1997, David M Brock wrote:

> John:
>
> I just went through a little of this, and though I created the other kind
> of flares (not bubble, but conical) I think an intermediate step in them
> was the bubble flare.

It could probably be pawned off as one.  I managed to make some double
(conial) flares this weekend (finally) and I now have a clutch line.

BTW, the bubble flare was bought from a parts store that (luckily) has
some left.

> Are the tubes 3/16? if so, start with about 1mm of tube extruding from the
> clamp, and when you put the doubler (?) in and compress, the extra 1mm
> will (might?) become the bubble flare that you're looking for.  Make sure
> that you've got the fitting on te tube before you flare it.
> --not like I'd ever do that! ;-)

I found that closer to 3mm proud worked best.  They're not
dead-on-center, but that's because I had to use the broken doubler.

> Also- make sure that your tube is cut perfectly square- use a tube cutter
> or a *very* careful hacksaw method.

To add to this, you must also be sure to ream out the cut if you use a
tubing cutter (my tiny cutter doesn't have a reamer built in), or 'lap'
the end if you hacksaw it to get rid of saw-tooth marks.

-Malcolm

    Too many rocks and not enough sand.