Spitfire Initiation

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Initiation
From: Chuck Simons <clsimons@simons.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 1997 11:11:52 -0500
As the new owner of a 72 spitfire, I hope these types of surprises are kept
to a minimum.

Since Fridays are my casual days,  (I.E. Jeans,Sneakers & skip shaving
etc.) I thought it would be nice to drive the Spit that day. This is no
small matter in that it is the wifes daily car. After the usual begging &
pleading I convinced her to take the 88 Jeep Cherokee.  I had a great time
looking for any stretch of road that had curves.  We live about 10 miles
out of town, So I was supposed to meet the wife for lunch at 1:00. I had
two ways to get to town. One way is highway. Straight and 55mph (read
boring) The other way (My favorite) tree covered, twisting country roads.
We all know the way I went.
I noticed when I left the house the gas gauge was between empty and 1/4
tank. I thought, I need to get gas when I get to town. (Yea I know, famous
last words)
To make a long story short, half way to town I run out of gas. I guess the
combination of hills, curves, spitfire gas pickup being at the front of the
tank and an incorrect fuel gauge lead to my demise.
Thank goodness for the woman that stopped and offered help. I did not want
to leave the car sitting on the side of the road, So this woman went to the
restaurant I was supposed to meet the wife at and waited for her to tell
her I was out of gas on the side of the road. (Sweet woman)
After a few gallons of gas, The Spit purred like a kitten again.

Still learning after all these years.

Chuck & Karen Simons
L.A. (Lower Arkansas)
72 Spitfire  FK33548U