Re: Hello from new owner - couple questions

To: krhodes1@maine.rr.com
Subject: Re: Hello from new owner - couple questions
From: Bob Sykes <s1500@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 21:01:14 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi Kevin, you wrote:

> 2. The car has overdrive, if I switch it on while holding the metal part of
> the shift knob, I get a strong electric shock. Somehow this does not seem
> quite right. ;-)

Could it be that the shock actually happens when you turn the OD off?
If the wire leading from the OD switch to the solenoid is "pinched"
somewhere in the gearshift lever/knob assy. you can get a good jolt.

Normally you cannot feel a 12V shock, but the inductive kick of a coil
(OD solenoid) turning off can generate a much higher voltage.  I have a
friend (fellow list member) who had just this problem.  If you rested
your
(other) arm on the drivers door while switching off the OD, it gave you
a noticable zap.  One quickly learned not to do this.

I see you have received good answers to all your other questions.

--
Bob "conditioned response" Sykes
'78 Spitfires