Re: Hello from new owner - couple questions

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Hello from new owner - couple questions
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 1997 07:25:06 -0700
Kevin, welcome aboard !

>1. There is a rubber hose coming out the side of the valve cover that ends
>in a metal filter gizmo - what is this?? It just sort of dangles in front
>of the carbs.
*********************************
Sounds like the previous owners attempt at crankcase ventilation,
improperly done I might add.  It should run from the valve cover, into a
smiths PVC valve mounted onto the intake manifold.
*********************************
>2. The car has overdrive, if I switch it on while holding the metal part of
>the shift knob, I get a strong electric shock. Somehow this does not seem
>quite right. ;-) Also is there a source for a new plastic top part of the
>shift knob with the OD switch? Mine has the wrong (earlier style) shift
>pattern.
*********************************
No, you shouldn’t get a shock, may be a possible bad ground.  You can
purchase the switch caps from the 'big three' , TRF, Moss, and Victoria
British.
*********************************
>3. Are the rear end gear ratios different between a 74 Spit w/o OD and a 77
>w/OD? - my differential is pretty worn, but I have a good low mileage one
>from the aforementioned 74.
*********************************
No, but the cars probably had different ratios.  Normally the 74 had a
3.89:1 ratio while the 76 and later had 3.63:1.  But if the diff has been
replaced it could have just about anything from 4:11.1, 3.89:1, 3.63:1 or
3.27:1.
*********************************
>4. My right side hood latch will not stay latched - it pops up after 10-15
>miles, can this be adjusted? I could not see anything in a cursory
inspection.
*********************************
Yes that may be all that is needed -
*********************************
>5. I find it a bit hard to start first thing in the morning (much like
>myself) It takes plenty of cranking, then lots of pedal pumping until it
>warms up enough. Any tips for starting, considering the dual SU's?
********************************
This is a common mistake for those that are not familiar with the
Stromberg/SU type of carb.  You can pump the accelerator all day long and
you won't squirt any gas into the manifold.  There is no diaphragm or
positive displacement type of accelerator pump.  Fuel enrichment is
accomplished by dampening the carb piston/needle operation in response to
engine demand and requires the engine to be operating.  Check the choke or
cold start enrichment for proper operation (or have someone who knows about
these carbs check it for you)
Have fun with your new aquistion !

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )