Re: Jack placement

To: taylor@cv.hp.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Jack placement
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 23:15:13 -0400 (EDT)
In a message dated 97-07-24 13:38:55 EDT, taylor@cv.hp.com (Keith M. Taylor)
writes:

<< I've recently aqcuired a 75 TR6 and would like some advice on the
 use/placement of a floor jack and jack stands. Obviously, the
 frame is a nice, beefy place to support the car, but I noticed a
 dent in it that seems to match the spare tire jack.

 I'm also interested in opinions of ramps vs. jack stands. >>

Welcome to the wild, wonderful world of TR6 ownership and
welcome to this list !  You will find it (the list ) a big help.

I have a very low opinion of ramps - I will admit I've never used them -
maybe someone who has can speak more authoritatively on the
horror of their misuse.
I can, however, state that in my experience, with 4 decent jack
stands and a decent floor jack, you can do virtually anything you
might need to do under the car.  Put a piece of wood between the
top of the jack and the frame rail to prevent those unsightly dents
- FWIW the top a hydraulic bottle jack makes the worst looking
dents in the frame (yes i did this to my first TR6 in my younger less
experienced days)  but the main frame rails on each side of the
the car ARE the places to jack under and place the jack stands.
When placing the jack stands, put them under places on the frame
as near the wheels as possible. WARNING: if you put the front
jack stands too far behind the front wheels AND the rear jack stands
too far in front of the rear wheels you will cause the frame to flex
so much that the doors will not open if they are shut or will not shut
if they are open. THIS IS NORMAL and does not mean your frame is
rotten and will not hurt it (normal car flexes back when lowered)
 unless it really is rotten in which case it can actually break it in half
if the rot is bad enough. Scared off yet ?  Don't be !!!
So what are going to be doing under there ?  Whatever it is,
somebody here (on the list) knows how  to do it and remembers
doing it for the first time and knows how you feel - and YOU CAN
do it !

Good Luck and be careful
Jack Mc
73TR6 CF870U