Re: VTR Nats more to ponder

To: Bob Kramer <rgk@flash.net>
Subject: Re: VTR Nats more to ponder
From: Joe Worsley <worsley@ebicom.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:56:42 -0700
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Bob Kramer wrote:

> I guess it's time for me to get back into the discussion.  Having presided
> over the 1992 South Central VTR regional and helping with this years gives
> me a reasonable perspective.  In the 7 regionals I been to, I've seen a few
> that could only be called overpriced, based on the banquets and events.
> One club showed over a $3,000 profit on a regional with less than 100
> participants. Our club broke even on this years South Central VTR Regional
> due to lower than expected turnout (not quite 80 cars).  We made almost
> $2,000 (mostly in T-shirts) in 1992 and saved our money, so we could afford
> to break even this year.
>
> As far as banquets and events as a whole go, the biggest variable that the
> host club has to contend with is the turnout/number of payees.  When a club
> sets up their plans for an event, they have to estimate a breakeven point.
> How lavish or cheap they want to go is figured into the equation. I have
> always been a proponent of keeping the prices a cheap as possible,  for the
> registration, the hotel and for the food.  I want as many people to come as
> possible and big $$ keeps people away. I always look for a relatively new
> hotel, a new moderate/cheaper hotel being better than anything old (this
> year in Ft. Worth proves that point).  I shudder to think how much money
> our club would have lost if we had followed the trend and brought the
> regional to a new high (cost) on our event, and raised fees to fit.
> Raising the price lowers participation.  Lowering it to raises
> participation. There is an optimal price for everything out there,
> including VTR events. Striking the balance is the hardest part.
>
> A week ago I tried to make the point that VTR Nationals need to be
> something so special that people will schedule for it if they can.  We need
> a minimum of 250-300 cars to be special, or more racecars, or more rare
> cars (let's hear it for Duncan Wood's Gloria!), or.....more VALUE! I'm
> looking forward to Winona, and I'll bring my racecar!
>
> Bob Kramer, Austin TX
> Hill Country Triumph Club
> TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
> rgk@flash.net

I fully agree that the sponsoring organization should look for the most
reasonable cost accomodations that provide a comfortable and clean
environment along with being able to accomodate the planned activities.

Many of the attendees probably find it difficult to cough up the $500 to
$600 or more for some it cost to drive to the event and stay for four
days.  I enjoyed the event and found the accomodations adequate and don't
believe any higher level of accomodations would have been necessary.  I
personally would be willing to stay at lower level accomodations if they
could accomodate the needs of the event.

The banquet is a big part of the event and should be held.  Again where
several members of a family attend the $24 a head might seem expensive.
If you look at it just for the value of the food it doesn't work out, but
there is more to it than that.  The banquet and pre banquet snacks
provides the medium to draw most of the attendees together to enjoy the
awards ceremony and provides a final get together before the closing of
the event.

Joe Worsley