Re: VTR Nats more to ponder

To: "Joe Worsley" <worsley@ebicom.net>, "Linda and Bill Sohl" <billsohl@planet.net>
Subject: Re: VTR Nats more to ponder
From: "Bob Kramer" <rgk@flash.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 19:22:14 -0500
Cc: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
I guess it's time for me to get back into the discussion.  Having presided
over the 1992 South Central VTR regional and helping with this years gives
me a reasonable perspective.  In the 7 regionals I been to, I've seen a few
that could only be called overpriced, based on the banquets and events.
One club showed over a $3,000 profit on a regional with less than 100
participants. Our club broke even on this years South Central VTR Regional
due to lower than expected turnout (not quite 80 cars).  We made almost
$2,000 (mostly in T-shirts) in 1992 and saved our money, so we could afford
to break even this year.

As far as banquets and events as a whole go, the biggest variable that the
host club has to contend with is the turnout/number of payees.  When a club
sets up their plans for an event, they have to estimate a breakeven point.
How lavish or cheap they want to go is figured into the equation. I have
always been a proponent of keeping the prices a cheap as possible,  for the
registration, the hotel and for the food.  I want as many people to come as
possible and big $$ keeps people away. I always look for a relatively new
hotel, a new moderate/cheaper hotel being better than anything old (this
year in Ft. Worth proves that point).  I shudder to think how much money
our club would have lost if we had followed the trend and brought the
regional to a new high (cost) on our event, and raised fees to fit.
Raising the price lowers participation.  Lowering it to raises
participation. There is an optimal price for everything out there,
including VTR events. Striking the balance is the hardest part.

A week ago I tried to make the point that VTR Nationals need to be
something so special that people will schedule for it if they can.  We need
a minimum of 250-300 cars to be special, or more racecars, or more rare
cars (let's hear it for Duncan Wood's Gloria!), or.....more VALUE! I'm
looking forward to Winona, and I'll bring my racecar!

Bob Kramer, Austin TX
Hill Country Triumph Club
TR6x3, TR250 x3, TR3A vintage race
rgk@flash.net