Re: Front spring shims

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Front spring shims
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwartz@encad.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 1997 09:53:24 -0700
Joseph B. writes;
>As was going to ask about this topic myself.  I am pulling the rubber
>bushings and replacing with poly so decided to replace the spings all around
>too . When I tried to install the new front springs, they wouldn't fit and
>there wasn't a rubber spring pad up there.  It turned out the rubber spring
>pad was under an aluminum spacer.  With the years of grime on there is looked
>like it was originally part of the car.
***************************
There are no rubber pad's or 'spacers' aluminum or otherwise installed on
stock Spitfires.  GT6's however have a small, approx. 1/4 inch thick
aluminum spacer on the drivers side, installed under the tower sandwiched
between the tower and the upper spring plate, which might have been used on
your car.  If you have spacers maybe this is causing a (your?) camber
problem.  The spring/shock is a coil over design and the spring is
installed on the shock, no spacers or rubber pads.  Non are really needed
as the whole assembly is isolated from the frame/suspension by rubber
bushes at each end.  Is this the way yours are?  If the springs don't fit
(diameter wise) than you probably have the wrong springs or perhaps the
previous owner installed non-Spitfire type shocks which might also be
causing the problem.  Is the car sitting unusually high in the front?

Barry Schwartz in San Diego, CA

Bschwartz@encad.com
72-V6/5sp Spitfire ( daily driver )
70 GT6+ ( when I don't drive the Spitfire )
70 (sorta) Spitfire ( project )
73  Ford Courier ( parts hauler )