Re: sad announcement

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: sad announcement
From: tom.omalley@channel1.com
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 1997 00:44:13 GMT
>To All,
>
>It is with great sadness that I must announce that W. Ray Gibbons, a frequent
>contributor to this list, passed away late last week. I do not know any
>details of what happened as the announcement only stated that he passed away
>in the
>hospital. I spoke to him at a local meeting only weeks ago and he seemed
>in fine spirits.

Damn.

Ray's postings were one of the reasons I read this list.  While a
large number of Ray's messages were just downright hilarious, he was
also very technically astute.  I've archived many of his writings on
welding and rust prevention.  Great stuff.

And then there was that slightly vulnerable side of Ray that would let
him write with pure emotion...like this:

Ray Gibbons Writes:

Recent rains have washed (I hope) the salt from the roads.  When this
morning dawned clear with a predicted high above freezing, I unearthed
Kermit the frogeye from his corner of the garage.  One of the benefits
of procrastination is that I never "got around" to suspending the
insurance.  Despite a 3 month rest and subzero morning temperature, he
started after a bit of cranking to get the oil pressure up.

At a stop light on the way to work, a fellow my about my age (i.e. a
young guy) in a Buick pulled into the parking lane beside me and
shouted, "What a wonderful car!  God bless you!"

Kermit cheers up other people almost as well as he does me.

end quote

About a year ago Motorhead Incorporated was subscribed to the Britcar
list.  I personally thought their technical postings were excellant
but their sig file read: "From Jeff and your friends at Motorhead"

At some point Ray decided to respond to one of their messages with the
header: "To Jeff and my friends"

Motorhead stopped posting shortly after. :-)

I never met Ray.  I miss him already.  God bless him!

Tom O'Malley
P.S. : If anyone has any more details on Ray's death I would
appreciate an e-mail.  Thanks.